Door technology has come a long way since the first humans hung skins at the front of the cave. Be sure to explore all your options before you choose:
- Steel doors have energy efficient foam core insulation and are fully weather stripped by the manufacturer. They are highly resistant to shrinking, swelling and warping. Their tough steel construction will withstand years of extreme weather conditions with minimum maintenance. The doors can be purchased with pre-drilled doorknob and lock set holes, making installation even easier. Steel doors come pre-primed and ready to paint.
- Fiberglass doors offer the same energy saving and easy installation qualities as steel doors. Fiberglass doors have wood grain texture molded into the door so they give the appearance of a real wood door within painted or stained. Their high quality composite construction make these doors resistant to all sorts of weather as well as scratches and dents. These are an excellent choice for extreme climates and high traffic entrances.
- Wood doors offer the most traditional look. The familiar look and feel of a well-crafted wooden door sends an inviting message of home and hearth. The substantial weight of a wooden door adds a sense of security and sturdiness to your home. These doors may be painted or stained for a natural, warm appearance. Wooden doors are usually made using frame and panel construction to counteract the effects of climatic or seasonal changes.
Patio doors, including French and sliding glass doors, range from five to over twelve feet in width. The selection of patio doors is as diverse as their sizes:
- Sliding doors are almost like huge picture windows through which you can walk. The doors are usually huge panes of glass mounted in a frame with rollers. They are manufactured from a variety of materials, including:
Aluminum * Vinyl * Wood * Wood Clad
French doors are available in the same materials as sliding doors and more. They are also available in steel and fiberglass, with the same characteristics as those found in traditional entry doors of the same material. French doors are available with either left or right handed in swing or out swing. You can also purchase units where both doors open. These units are available with or without brick mold stocks in the center.
There are plenty of accents available to help you fully customize your entryway doorsto your needs and desires.
- Glass - All door types are available with decorative glass. While most doors have insulated glass for energy efficiency, others may have beveled, silk-screened or stained glass with genuine brass (joining strips for segmented glass). The glass may be one large lite or have a grille that separates the glass into several lites.
- Side-lites - Side-lites are available for all types of doors. You may use one side-lite on either side of the door or have one on each side.
- Transoms - Transoms are available for all types of doors, in three distinct shapes:
Arch * Ellipse * Box
- In-glass Blinds - Some doors have adjustable blinds made inside the glass pane.